Access a share by it’s DNS alias name
December 17, 2009 § Leave a comment
On the DNS server
1. Open DNS
2. Create an A record with the name you want and the IP address of the server that you want to alias
3. Close out and make sure you can ping this new alias from another machine
4. If you cannot ping, refresh the DNS changes manually by using ipconfig /flushdns
On the Windows Server
1. Open regedit from Run or Command Prompt
2. Navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
3. Add or Edit DWORD "DisableStrictNameChecking"
4. Change the value to 1
Restart the server. You should now be able to access the server using it’s DNS alias.